Artur Kroschel was born in 1973 in Szamotuły (Poland). He graduated from the Academy of Music in Poznań with distinction, where he studied composition in Jan Astriab’s class. He studied electronic music with Lidia Zielińska. In 1999 he got a scholarship of the Polish Ministry of Culture and Arts and in 2000 he received the Davidoff Young Composers Award. He took part in International Courses of Contemporary Music “Kraków-Stuttgart” in Cracow and in International Workshops of Multimedia Art in Skoki (Poland).
Kroschel has been given a number of awards and honourables mentions:
- First Prize at the Composers Competition 9th Silesian Days of Contemporary Music in Katowice (2000),
- Prize at the 3rd International Forum for Young Composers in Chalon-sur-Saône in France (2004),
- Third Prize at the Composition Contest X. Weimarer Frühjahrstage für zeitgenössische Musik (2009),
- Adam Didur Composers Competition in Sanok (2000),
- Tadeusz Baird Young Composers Competition in Warsaw (2002).
Artur Kroschel’s compositions have been performed at many festivals and concerts, among others at:
- Gaudeamus Music Week in Amsterdam,
- Dresdener Tage der zeitgenössischen Musik,
- Aspekte in Salzburg,
- Weimarer Frühjahrstage für zeitgenössische Musik,
- Unerhörte Musik in Berlin,
- Suona Francese in Rome,
- Festival für aktuelle Musik Randspiele Zepernick (Berlin),
- World Music Days ISCM, Mons (Belgium),
- Festival Morelia Nueva Musica in Mexico,
- the International Festival of Contemporary Music Poznań Musical Spring,
- Musica Polonica Nova in Wrocław,
- Warsaw Autumn,
- International Contemporary Chamber Music Competition in Cracow,
- at numerous concerts of contemporary music in Paris, London, Rome, Moscow, Naples, Barcelona, Munich and in the USA.
In 2005 he composed a piece for the closing concert of the project “Kulturjahr der Zehn”, which took place in the Kammermusiksaal der Philharmonie Berlin. In the same year he was invited to the project “Labyrinthmaker Platform 2007”.
His pieces have been performed by Ensemble Aleph, Sinfonietta Leipzig conducted by Johannes Harneit, Pierrot Lunaire Ensemble Wien, Warehouse Ensemble conducted by Edwin Roxburgh, an_Arche NewMusicEnsemble, Modern Art Ensemble, Ensemble ON conducted by Gilles Gobert, Duo Namaste, Symphony Orchestra of Poznań Philharmonic conducted by Marek Pijarowski, Symphony Orchestra of Jenaer Philharmonie conducted by Markus L. Frank.
In 2001-2002 Artur Kroschel was the secretary of the Polish Composers’ Union circle of young composers. Presently he is Vice-President of the Poznan’s PCU branch. In 2009 he was given award of the Rector of the Academy of Music in Poznań. In 2010 he was given a distinction “Zasłużony dla Kultury Polskiej” of the Polish Ministry of Culture and National Heritage.
He has a PhD in Musical Arts from Wrocław Academy of Music and he teaches at the Ignacy Jan Paderewski Academy of Music in Poznań. Since 2012 he is Artistic Director of the International Festival of Contemporary Music “Poznańska Wiosna Muzyczna” in Poznań.
Kroschel’s list of works includes orchestral compositions, chamber music, solo pieces and electronic music.